Thursday 28 August 2014

What I've Learned - Nail Polish

As I may have mentioned once or twice, I never went through the high school experimenting phase and have had to learn everything in my thirties.

I am a nail biter. I have been battling this for a very long time and I have found that, while I relapse regularly, the best way for me to not bite is to wear nail polish. However, if I wear too much, or if I wear nail polish (like Essie) which can be a bit rubbery, I peal it off, which is not good for my nails at all.

I am also a cuticle chewer and have yet to figure out how to keep that in check and get that pretty, smooth edge to my nails. So if anyone has any ideas please do not hesitate to enlighten me.

I have been trying to perfect nail polish application for a while now and while I am getting better, not every effort meets success. I cannot tell you how many times I have removed freshly applied nail polish over and over again until I have given up.

These are some basics I have learned so far:

When it comes to application, always use a base coat. It prevents your nails from staining.
The top coat makes the polish glossier and makes it last longer.
Have good lighting.
Go slowly . If I go anything close to fast, it just smears and gets onto skin and, well, you get the idea.
Take your time. For me getting nails right can take hours. This is because I have not figured out how to get my nails to dry faster.
Putting your nails in cold water supposedly helps it dry faster. It has not worked in my experience.
Don't use to much polish on a coat. this is particularly difficult if your polish has lost it's brand new consistency and has gone a bit thick and gloopy.
Having a hot shower, even when you think your nail polish is 100% dry is not a good idea. It just smooshes off. This was a very unhappy discovery.
Do not try very carefully to open doors, get things out of your hand bag or pockets. It will end in tears. Don't do anything at all. Just stay still, as if you were hunting Wabbits.

If you are messy and clumsy like me, get some cheap latex gloves. Wear them to do your toes. Then, take one off and paint that hand. When that hand is smooth dry, put a glove on that hand and do the other hand.
If you have to do any corrections that require nail polish remover (or if you are removing nail polish from toes), wear the gloves to protect you current nail polish from being damaged. This was an idea I came up with and tried because I often have to touch up or wipe corners and it just gets messy. I really like this idea and encourage you to try it and share it.

I have yet to discover how to get edges perfect. I have watched YouTube videos about this and, well, I still haven't got it right.

I do not know how to fix gouges and stop polish from fading at the edges. There is a lot still to learn, but I will get there and I will eventually get really good at it. I have enough polish to practice on, so why not. I do think, however, that should invest at least a little bit of time finding out other people's tricks and such and not try to figure it out all on my own.

What are your little gems when it comes to nail polish?
Please tell me in the comments below.
See ya.
X