Wednesday 13 August 2014

REN Evercalm Gentle Cleansing Milk Review

Hello all the people.

I wanted to write a blog post today, but I wasn't quite sure what I would write about. This hasn't been a good week so far, and I have wanted to blog since Monday, but just didn't have it in me.

To get me going, I decided to write a little post about REN; a lovely, understated brand recommended to me by my skincare hero, Caroline Hirons.

As readers may know, last year I had the privilege of meeting Mrs Hirons and was able to ask her key questions on saving my skin.

One of her recommendations was REN Evercalm Gentle Cleansing Milk. This product feels more like a cream that a milk, with a smooth texture and a smell I really like.

It cleans beautifully and leaves your skin feeling soft, clean and clear, with no residue or greasiness.
My skin is dry and the older I get, the dryer it becomes. I also get easily dehydrated and this gentle cleanser does not dry me out or strip my skin in any way, quite the opposite really; when i use it my skin feels quite bright and nourished.

It is excellent for both morning and evening; whether you are wearing makeup or not.

I really like the packaging, which pushes the product up as you use it, rather than having that little tube thing that you have to aim around the bottle when you are running out, and the pump releases just the right amount of product. I usually use one to one and a half pumps, smoosh it all over my face and neck (dry or damp) and then take it off with a face cloth that I have rinsed in hot water. It all feels so nice and pampery.


I am not super regular with my routine at the moment but when I do it, I can feel the difference instantly. I remember being absolutely amazed when I first used it. It made such a visible difference to the texture and condition of my skin. I felt like years had been taken off. I cannot praise this product enough to be honest.

I do not have that much experience with a range of cleansers, but I have tried a few drugstore ones that have left the tight feeling or that have made no difference at all, and you may as well not have bothered. I have also tried the Lush cleansing balm that, while many people love it, I cannot bear that greasy, waxy film it leaves behind (not to mention how it stains my face cloths yellow.)

According to the REN website, you can get REN products at Liberty of London, Space NK, John Lewis, Marks & Spencer, ASOS and some independent retailers in the UK (including Amazon). Priced at £16.00 form 150ml, you can't go wrong here.

REN have a selection of ranges for various skincare needs and the Evercalm range is designed for sensitive skin. For those familiar with this brand, the range used to be called Hydra-Calm.

As an added bonus, REN skincare does not put nasties in products so you won't find "Synthetic fragrance, mineral oil, petrolatum, sulfate detergents, synthetic colours, animal ingredients and parabens," according the website.

"REN products do not contain potential irritants including: glycols and diglycols (such as propylene glycol), PEG's, PPGs, urea, D.E.A, T.E.A, PABA and other synthetic sunscreens, aliphatic alcohols/hydrocarbons, phthalates, fumarates, amines, alkanolamines, synthetic AHAs/BHAs, polyacrylamide, metacrylate, elastomer, poloxamer, styrene, vinyl, polyquaternium, synthetic chelating agents, nylon, nitriles, nitrates, nitrosamine releasers, bromates, fluor, aluminum and alumina et al."

So there you go.

I suppose I should be giving this some kind of rating. How about a Newbie Seal of Approval. Start as you mean to go on, best foot forward and all that. It's basically a winner for me.

What's your winning skincare product?

Comment below or tweet me @becomingiris to share the newbie knowledge!