Friday 22 August 2014

REN Clarimatte Clarifying Toner - All Finished

So last week I wrote about the REN cleanser I bought eons ago, but I didn't mention that at the same sort of time, I bought  the REN Clarimatte Clarifying Toner as well.

Now, I am quite sure that neither product was supposed to last so interminably long, but as I wasn't overly regular with my skincare, they lasted a super long time.

This toner was another recommendation by Mrs Hirons and if my face is anything to go by, I think we should all listen to her. I was told to use it as an acid toner to remove dead skin cells, balance out the skin and prepare it for the skincare that goes on top.

According to the REN website,  the REN Clarimatte Clarifying Toner is "a refreshing exfoliating toning lotion that unclogs pores and sloughs off dead skin leaving the complexion looking clear, smooth and even toned. Reduces the appearance of pore size and oiliness while its antimicrobial action minimizes the appearance of future breakouts."

Glycolic Acid from Pineapple Extract, Lactic Acid from Passion Fruit, Citric Acid from Lemon Extract and Tartaric Acid from Grape Extract
I am not a breakouty person, so I can't really say if this product made a difference there and I am not so sure about the pore minimizing, but again, I haven't been all that regular in my routine of late, so I can't judge that either.

The product itself has a herby, almost medicated smell but it is actually quite nice (to my nose, anyway). If you don't like the smell, don't worry, it goes away almost instantly.

I have dry skin and the Clarimatte range is for oily to combination skin, but this toner did not really dry me out. In fact, it left my face feeling smooth and soft. The cleanser toner combination have made a significant difference to my skin to the point that I have mostly eliminated dry patches from my face.

When I first started this skincare lark, I had a Clinique foundation that I could not use because it just clung to all those little patches and you could really see how bad my skin was if I was wearing makeup (kind of the opposite effect that one generally goes for.)

The other day, I wore said foundation and it looked really nice (so glad I didn't throw it away when I thought it was too drying for my skin).

Toner bottle warns of potential stinging. I never felt any stinging at all; it was just cool and calm and lovely.

Occasionally, when my skin feels a bit rough, I will use an exfoliator (Body Shop Vitamin C) then cleanse; tone etc. I am not too heavy duty on my skin, I don't think, and my routine is still pretty basic (I am still considering adding an eye cream to my regime), but I haven't felt the need for anything too drastic. The goal of this whole project was to minimise the first signs of ageing, which these products have done in a big way.

The price of this toner is also in the midrange, and at £12 for 150ml it definitely won't break the bank. As a first introduction to modern toners it has impressed me and set the benchmark really high for any other products I try, because, let's face it, I'm a girlie girl now and new things must be tried and tested. That is what this whole adventure is about. (and a part I really do enjoy).

So REN Clarimatte Clarifying Toner, effective, well priced and elegantly packaged (pretty sort of squeezy bottle). What more do you actually want?

I do confess that this is by no means an expert review, and in the years to come, I change my tune and know better, but somehow, I doubt it.

REN is a good brand. That is all.

What toners do you use and why?
What should I try next?
Comment below or tweet me @becomingiris to share your thoughts!

See ya later. Bye.