Thursday 16 January 2014

Age Restrictions Have a Purpose

A few weeks ago, I went to a movie. It was the first movie I had seen in a movie theatre in almost five years. That's right FIVE years.

I went to see 47 Ronin in 3D; my first 3D movie in about 10 years.



The film was very good. I would, in fact enjoy going to see it again. I would probably enjoy it more the second time round. Here is why:

I was still suffering heavily with morning sickens and was feeling a bit anxious that morning, so things did not start out well.

We made it in time and all was well. We decided to sit in the very front row; I do not know why. I will not repeat that - the 3D is not as effective from so close up.

The film was not overly gory, it did not have any nudity per se and there was no vulgar language. Its US rating is PG-13, but in the UK, it is 12A, which means as long as your over 18 parents are with you, you can watch the film, regardless of your age. Although this is a more lenient restriction than in the US, parents really should use better judgement.

Chances are that is the film has an age restriction, it may not be suitable for your child. If you feel that your child, although younger than 12, will be able to cope with and appreciate the film, without disrupting it for others, then by all means, bring your child. If they can't, don't bring them just because you can't find a frickin' baby sitter.

I was very much annoyed by what I had to endure throughout the film:

A group of adults went to see the film and brought three children with them. They sat in the row behind the kids, obviously so they could enjoy the film without having to worry about the kids acting up, which they did, constantly. they were simply too young to handle the emotional intensity and thematic elements explored in the film. They could also not appreciate any of the mythological and cultural nuances portrayed.

They kicked our chairs constantly, they giggled at all the tense moments and made jokes, and also made fun of the character accents and clothes etc.

The adults never said anything to the kids, and I think, did some inappropriate giggling of their own.

I was very much annoyed but, I didn't say anything to the adults when we left because, in reality,  what difference would it have made? None.

I did have to turn around a few times to get them to stop kicking. what is it with some kids and kicking chairs. I never, ever did that as a child. I was not just being a grumpy adult, it actually hurt my back, which is generally on the tender side anyway.

I may sound like a bit of a moaner, but my point stands. Some films, are just not for children. the age restrictions are there for a reason and, in general, are on the lenient side.

In my time living in the UK, I have made the sad discovery that the people I have seen absolutely lack any kind of ability to reason, think for themselves, solve their own problems or use any form of judgement what so ever.

I don't want to be unduly harsh on our hosts, but seriously. Use some Sechel (brain) for a change!
Oh, and consider people around you! I know Londoners are usually a very selfish bunch, but get a baby sitter next time and don't dump your kids in a different row (behind me) so they can ruin the film for me.

That turned out a bit ranty, didn't it?
Sorry.

47 Ronin was excellent, intense and beautiful.

that is all.