Tuesday 22 January 2019

January Sales 2019 Part Two - My First Haul of the Year

Pick it up. Put it down. Pick it up. Put it down.

We've all been there; that agonising debate when we are at a sale and we are trying not to get carried away and blow the budget right out of the window. You wander is it really a good deal, is it really cheaper, and most importantly, do I really need it (right now!).

 Well, to be honest, the answer to the last question is generally a loud, resounding NO, whispered into my ear by the metaphorical angel on my one shoulder, masked by the din of a little devil cavorting on the other, convincing me of how much better my immediate future would be with said random item.

In my previous post, I talked about shopping with my girls and what I bought Liora. For myself, I did far more putting down than picking up, only partly, I must confess, due to my prudence and self control. No I have not sworn off consumerism, We are simply moving house soon so it seemed kind of pointless to buy stuff only to have to pack it in box almost immediately. A deal is only a deal if it’s something you need or want without it.

OK. Enough with the drama. Let's get to the good stuff.


From Boots, I got this gift box of Soap and Glory Products for a tenner. I was pretty happy about this because I almost never indulge in body stuff. I have always wanted to try the shower gel because it smells awesome, but I use Original Source shower gel which is much much much much cheaper (and when my stock is finished, I will be moving to a bar of soap because I can reduce my plastic too). Bottom line, the price of the whole box was only marginally more than a whole bottle of the shower gel by itself, so hand cream, shower gel, body butter, body scrub and a pair of bath bombs, Yeah! That'll do.


From Superdrug I bought this little duo. There was a promo where some products were two for £22. At the time, I thought it was a good deal because the Dragons Blood Hyaluronic Shot was more than that on its own. I later discovered that on the brand's own website, the products were on sale for less, so meh for me.

I also picked up a couple of sets of Superdrug makeup brushes, I don't know why. I actually only wanted a fan brush, which I probably could have gotten from elsewhere, wait. This is not a buyer's remorse post! Let's try that again, shall we.

I made a cheeky little purchase of some brushes I didn't quite need, but I am sure I will have fun trying them out and getting back to you about how they rate. There. Better.

I also took a picture. I know my pictures are not great. I like to prattle and write, photography is not my forte. I am working on it though, promise.

I then popped into one of these no name brand beauty shops on my high street and had a little looky loo. Nothing grabbed my attention, except on of those microfibre makeup removing cloths where you just need water. It was about £2 so I had to try it, its my duty to you to try these random things.

Liora wasn't cranky yet, so I had a bit of time left. Imogen is never cranky when she is in her pram; she just watches the world quietly and plots her takeover. I made one more stop, just for fun.

I went Primark and bought things.


Since I bought the random cleansing cloth from the random shop, I obviously had to buy  the mitts to compare.

And then I spotted this collection of novel makeup tools that I thought would be fun to play with, and who can say no to a bit of whimsy? Also Glitter. I am not a huge glitter fan per se, but I thought I would scootch out of my comfort zone and at least give myself a chance to try some. Also, they may be fun to use in blog photos, if I'm brave enough. I was tempted to let Liora have them, but I don't think I will ever be that brave.

Just to recap - there is a two pack of silicone makeup sponges (weird), eye shadow guards, eyeliner, eyebrow and even contour stencils.

I may, or may not use these in a YouTube video, we will see.


So that was my little shopping day with my girls. what  do you think of my purchases?
Which ones do you want to know about?
Let me know in the comments!

Honorable Mention

Items not bought on the day, but in the same time frame

An honourable mention goes to Nip and Fab. The website was running an amazing sale last week with a ton of products reduced to £5. I bought the Glycolic Fix Body Cream and the Dragon's Blood Fix Plumping Serum. Nip and Fab threw in a set of five Glycolic Fix Daily Cleansing pads deluxe for free. Thank you!

The body cream is supposedly a 'dupe' for Ameliorate Transforming Body Lotion which is designed for Keratosis Pilaris, which I have and Liora has. The original is priced at £22.50 which seems a bit eye watering to me, so an alternative at £5 is really worth a try.

The pumping serum was bought so I could get free shipping. (I'm sure it's going to be great.)
Don't judge me, we all do it.

What is the weirdest or most pointless thing you've ever bought to make up a free shipping threshold? (and did it cost more than the shipping cost?)