Tuesday 8 January 2019

Goals for 2019 - Back to Basics

I feel inspired.

I just joined a few new Facebook groups for makeup lovers and it took reading exactly one post to fire up my imagination.

Let's be honest, this blog has been going for five years, but has been flagging for an awfully long time. Without focus or inspiration, it floated around with nowhere to go.

Now, in 2019, I have recommitted myself to making this blog thrive and grow. I  know that I have a voice that is rather different from most of those around and I am going to own it. I am not an expert. I am not a guru. I just have an interest and love for skincare and cosmetics, and I am pretty good at looking things up and making them make sense.

So what's on the agenda for 2019?

To start with, I think it is valuable to know where I am, skin wise. I am slightly out of routine at the moment, and I can feel it. While, as a rule, I have reasonably problem-free skin, it is not in it's best, soft and smooth condition at the moment, which could isn't actually a bad thing for the blog, I suppose. It has a tendency to be normal to dry but gets dehydrated really easily. It is over 40 so it is starting to wrinkle a little but no too much, thankfully.

That being said, I will try to be as informative as possible regarding all sorts of skin types and conditions.

I have very long, dark brown curly hair. It has no artificial colour in it and I have very few greys.

The last time I cut my hair I donated it. That was in 2015.

I bite my nails and have desperately horrible cuticles. The problem gets better and worse, but never quite goes away. The only way I can control it is by painting my nails.

I have two daughters. My three-year old is already obsessed by eye shadow and nail polish.

Where do we go from here?

It is hard to achieve things if you don't have goals. So let's make a few in the belief that we will achieve at least some of them.

Social Media Reviews
I love YouTube. For better or worse, I can lose hours watching video after video. So I do plan to have a regular post on who I'm watching and loving... and who is no longer relevant to me. I would love for you to share your favourites with me. Are you an Instafiend? Tell me whose Instagram you follow, or any other platform for that matter!

Skincare Basics
I am not a skincare expert, but I have learned a few things and I have many resources I can use to give you as much information as I can.

I would like to do some posts on skincare routines:
Where to start for the older newbie and for the younger ones too
What are the important elements you need to include in your routine
Where to go next and how to introduce new elements and steps
And some products to try, obviously

Makeup Tricks and Techniques you Need to Know
I hope to make this a regular feature. I don't have any yet, but I will collect them like little gems and let them loose on my readers in batches, properly attributed, of course. 

Products 
Whether it's shopping my stash, looking at ingredients, news on new products or just plain product reviews, no beauty blog is complete without this lovely bit, so expect some. 

Off-Topic
I think I will keep this around and see how we go. I have an invisible little soap-box I like to climb on from time to time and some life updates I like to share. I also think this space is a good place to explore things like fashion, weight loss, and other bits and pieces. I plan to do a hair cut and donation again this year so I will be exploring some hair treatments to get my hair into tip top shape before the big cut.

What do you think?

Let me know what you're excited about for 2019. Send me your burning questions and I will gladly do the work and get your answers.