Monday 18 March 2013

Beauty Noob

Okay, so I'm still trying to figure out what to write about in this blog. 

It's a little bit weird because I don't generally have a shortage of things to say, and I literally have an opinion on everything; it's not always right, but it is always there. 

Right now, I'm going through a bit of a girly kick. Well, it's more like a state of mild panic about my nails and my skin. You see, I have never been a girly girl and I haven't really worried about or taken much notice of that kind of thing. 

To give you an example: I own 1 pair of boots, 1 pair of trainers, 1 pair of ugg style boots I wear as slippers when its cold, 1 pair of flip flops, 1 pair of open toed sandally wedge type shoes and that's pretty much it. I am so not girly, I don't even know the proper name for the types of shoes I own. 

I don't know many cosmetic or clothing brands, I seldom wear makeup and never do anything with my hair.

Having said that, I recently realized that if I don't start taking care of my skin I am going to regret it. I have started to wrinkle and my skin has gotten really super-dry from the weather changes and the grunginess of London. 

At the same time, I decided that I wanted to grow my nails a bit, improve the horrible condition of my cuticles and stop biting and chewing both. I have started filing and painting my nails and moisturising my hands to solve that problem. It's not easy, but it's working - all I need now is a better understanding of the nail care and polish brands and which ones apply easily, dry fast and don't come off. It's like being 12 when you're 35. A beauty Noob at my age!

To take care of the skin on my face, I started out by buying cleansing stuff from Tesco - its the Tesco cucumber brand stuff which is very gentle but works well. I also bought moisturisers from the pound store and from Lidl to try. I wasn't overly impressed.

I have a normal to dry skin with some t-zone oiliness at times, but very few breakouts - even as a teen, only got a few in the t-zone area. After a few days of using the Lidl brand cream, I got a pimple. I don't know, maybe it was a coincidence, but I decided I would stop using them.

I went into Boots and bought some products from the Boots Botanics Radiant Youth range to try. I bought the serum, day cream and night cream, so far so good but we'll see how we go.
Hopefully I will remember to use the stuff and take better care of my aesthetic health.

Wish me luck!