Wednesday 8 August 2018

Binge Writing is a Thing

My last post got me thinking about the way I have always written - going for a long time without writing and the POP! Something clicks in my head and I feel compelled to write something or anything.

It's a bit like binging, I thought. Then I thought about the other things I binge at.
I must confess, I am a bit of a binge eater, hence my roundish kind of shape, well, mostly hence. I also binge tidy, clean, organise and fold laundry, off the top of my head. (I also binge studied, which I do not recommend.)

So I googled it, as you do, a lo and behold, binge writing is a Thing.

A thing that other writers write about. Imagine my relief when I discovered that I was not unique in my approach to writing. Then I thought, of course you silly woman. There is nothing new under the sun.

There is no catch-all method to writing and if I had thought about it before, which I clearly did not, I would have realised the the x number of words per day method was not very Irissy and I should not have felt bad about not being able to do it, which I obviously did.

So now that I have stumbled upon this plain and obvious truth, I am going to embrace my bingey nature (writing-wise) and go with it, cos it's basically the only way I can roll and the only way I will ever get any real writing done.

It's either that or spend even more time feeling bad about not being consistent, which is just dumb.

So, come binge with me, it'll be fun.