Wednesday 10 September 2014

Dieting with MyFitnessPal

With everything that's happened in the last five years, I have put on a lot of weight. A lot.
I won't tell you how much I weigh. What I will tell you is that the journey ahead will be long and anything but easy. In the first place, I have to battle my own laziness when it comes to preparing healthy lunches (Dinner is seldom a problem for some reason), and the fact that, being at home, I have a tendency to boredom eat (along with other emotions).

This weekend, I decided enough was definitely enough. I am at my heaviest weight. I can't buy nice clothes, I am always tired and all my joints hurt. I am so unfit that I am sore and out of breath after walking up just one flight of stairs.

It's madness.

I decided not to wait until Monday to begin. Monday starts have never worked for me and I figured if I was going to take my diet seriously, I shouldn't wait for even one day.

My diet is not overly complicated. I just limit my daily diet to 1400 calories, try to not eat junk food and have more fruit and vegetables; just your basic healthy food choices.

Several months ago, a colleague of Mr C recommended an Android app called MyFitnessPal.

It allows you to track your caloric intake and exercise. It also has advanced settings if you want to fulfill certain nutritional and exercise goals.

Right now, I am just logging calories, but my plan is to become a more advanced user over time.

The nice thing about this app that I find so convenient is its database of products and the barcode reader.

I have yet to find something that it won't read and recognise. I can even go to restaurants and eat a nice meal and the app can help me choose my meal.

So far, it's been three days and so far so good.

I'll keep you posted.
Bye for now