Friday 27 December 2013

The Truth is Out There

I have not been a regular blogger and I have decided not to make any more excuses or apologies.

My routine is a little on the rocks at the moment, but I do generally try. I am currently using a mix of products, as you do. L'Oreal, Lush, and Bioderma (serum, moisturiser, and micellar water when required) - I bought those in Paris when I went to visit the family at the beginning of December.

It was not the best trip I've had, for various reasons (see below).

I have come to realise that in order to apply makeup at speed and efficiently, one must practice and do it a lot. I have not been wearing much makeup of late and thus have lost and edge, resulting in not wanting to or having the time to fuss with it all.

In order to remedy that, I will have to play with my makeup like a kid. Hmmm, that actually sounds fun.

Okay, that's enough of that. There is an elephant in the room. You probably can't see it, but I can. It is one of the reasons I have not been posting, also, strangely enough, an excellent reason to have been posting:

I am pregnant.
Currently at about 14 weeks.
I have known since end October.
It has been rough! I have been nauseous every. single. day. Felt absolutely horrible (physically), tired and stuff.

It was very hard not to tell the world; in fact we utterly failed to keep it a secret.
I felt that in order to maintain some level of not telling people in the first trimester, I would not blog, because everything in my world right now is about keeping food down and baby well.

That was why I was on the hunt for healthier skincare options, without vitamin A and all the lovely chemicals. It is also why I quit smoking.

I have tried, repeatedly, to muster up the energy to do some exercise, but am failing miserably. The weather is not helping.

I've had my fist midwife appointment, my first scan, and some blood tests for genetic diseases and to check for immunity for things like rubella (all results were normal). So far, so good.

It was a bit nerve racking there at the beginning since, in the UK, they do not see you at all until you are 8-10 weeks along - the risk for miscarriage is too high so they only intervene later. It sounds a bit heartless and it is rather difficult for first-time moms who are feeling a little anxious about it all, but at the end of the day, it does make some level of sense.

I don't disagree with the policy, but they should at least post you some stuff to read about what to expect and all that so you don't have to resort to Google - the mortal enemy of the worried-well mom-to-be. I did find some useful websites, like BabyCentre.co.uk, which basically saved me and made me feel like it was all going to be okay.

The 12-week scan was amazing. the baby is just too cute and was moving around and dancing merrily while the sonographer was trying to measure things.

So as of now, I still have morning sickness and some other lovely and glamorous symptoms. The baby is healthy and growing nicely. The hubby is super-excited and we are both very much looking forward to our little addition. We have been waiting a while for our little blessing and I never really believed this day would come for me, without serious medical intervention. But it has and the timing was perfect. (Mr C got a new job just days before we found out we were expecting.)

There is a great deal that will be going on, and I will try to document at least some of it. One of my more annoying symptoms is the legendary pregnancy brain, which makes me more addled than usual, so I will forget things.

That is all for now, except that I went to see 47 Ronin today and it was very enjoyable. I would like to see it again, without small children sitting behind me in the movie theatre, however. (resist temptation to rant about the obvious.)

Good night.

Be kind to yourself and love your skin.

Google+