Friday 7 June 2013

Caroline Hirons - Beauty God Mother!

Last night, I was one of the fortunate women who got to spend some quality time with the amazing legend that is Caroline Hirons. I was one of the first to arrive and left after my consultation (I was fourth in the queue), so I missed out on meeting anyone who may have come later, and missed the action/trauma of the pack of fools who tried to rob the place.

If you've read my little blog, you will know that there are 12-year-olds that know more a bout skincare than me. I am learning a lot though, and fast. (I've even been asked to give skincare advice to a co-worker - although all I did was regurgitate what Caroline says.)

Back on point. I left the house with plenty of time, but as is characteristic of me, I hopped on to the wrong train (to Farringdon instead of Victoria) and got off at City Thames Link (ie Got lost as per usual). I therefore managed to accidentally see St Paul's Cathedral and ended up arriving at about 18:10, which was still pretty early. As I mentioned, I was under the impression that it would be a general talk so I wanted to get a good spot. To my amazement and surprise, it was a one-on-one consultation (So amazing - although in the moment one forgets all one's questions).

Going blank, or in my case, not really knowing what to ask, is not really the end of the world though. There is so much for me to learn so it was a good thing that I was just "I know nothing and have no budget" because Caroline very kindly told me what skin type I had - DRY (no, I genuinely didn't know - it's not always obvious) and basically gave me a place to start from - aim to get a cleansing milk (REN Hydra Calm Cleansing Milk), a hydrating toner and a good moisturiser (Clarins HydraQuench). It is unwise to bombard the skin with all new things, so we start small and work our way up gradually. I can use Botanics for now, but should aim to change to these products when they're finished.

Caroline was understandably mortified by my current foam cleanser and how I use it ( the brush thing I bought) and I was instructed to to throw these away without delay, which I have done.

I also need to cut out sugar and drink more water if I want good skin, not to mention the smoking, which is my constant nemesis.

Despite this, and to my absolute delight, she was much impressed with the tone of my skin, when she touched my face. It's quite a nice feeling when someone like Caroline touches your skin and says "Gosh your tone! How old are you? Oh my god look at this!" "It's good it's all good!" 

After our tete-a-tete, I was taken to the Clarins counter to get some samples of their moisturiser to try. I baulked at the price of the REN (which I have found for less on Amazon) so I didn't buy any products from Selfridges, and went straight to Primark (literally - it's across the street) to get some Flannels - three triple packs of white ones tied up in ribbons. I then popped into Boots to get a cleansing cream and, since I was shopping anyway, I stopped into Superdrug and bought some Maybelline gel liner and some Colour Tattoo in On & On Bronze - what can I say, I couldn't help myself. 

Al in all, it was an amazing event and I am very glad I got a video of the whole thing. (I have decided not to post it for two reasons: 1. It needs editing and I have neither the time or the inclination; 2. I look really fat).

Just so you know, last night and again this morning I did a double cleanse with cream and flannel, followed by toner, moisturiser and separate SPF this morning (I have a sample). 

Let me just say that last night my skin felt incredible and today was amazing! My skin felt moisturised all day. Usually within a few minutes of applying moisturiser after cleansing, my skin feels tight and thirsty for more - foam cleaners must really be avoided - they are the DEVIL!

So, Thank you Caroline for saving me from myself and for saving my skin before I destroyed it completely. You are truly a Beauty God Mother!